Volcom is a modern lifestyle brand that embodies the creative spirit of youth culture. The company was built on liberation, innovation and experimentation while remaining dedicated to the breakdown of established traditions. Today, Volcom stays "True To This", symbolizing integrity, authenticity, individuality and the pure fun of riding.
The goal of Volcom is to provide a connection for people who share our passion for art, music, film, skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing. We are focused on supporting athletes, artists and musicians – providing a means for creative individuals to come together and collectively express themselves. This collaborative effort is at the center of everything we do, from the ever-growing Veeco Productions film library, the grassroots "Let the Kids Ride Free" contest series, the high-profile "Volcom Pipe Pro" surf competition on down to our in-house record label – Volcom Entertainment.
Founded on a snowboarding trip in the winter of 1991 by Richard Woolcott and Tucker Hall, the Volcom idea would incorporate a major philosophy of the times: "Youth Against Establishment". It was also the first time that surf, skate and snow were brought together under one brand from its inception and "America's First Boarding Company" was born.
Our products (which include streetwear, boardshorts, denim, swimwear, footwear, accessories and outerwear) incorporate a distinctive mixture of fashion and function combined with quality, comfort and athletic performance. With designs for men, women and youth, we strive to responsibly make meaningful product that not only exemplifies our lifestyle, but enhances the ability to live it.
During the March dumps of 1991, Richard Woolcott and Tucker Hall, set off on a snowboard trip that would forever change their lives. Tucker had just been laid off from work but that wouldn’t stop him from attending his routine Tahoe trip to visit Nathan Fletcher and Mark Gabriel. After riding four days of fresh powder, Richard called work with the excuse that they were snowed in and extended his stay. For more than a week, they awoke every morning with two new feet of snow. It was their first real experience riding powder and the new obsession wouldn't stop there.
Two weeks later Richard quit his job to take some time off and snowboard. He and Tucker had also talked of starting a clothing company during the Tahoe trip but nothing was really finalized. Later that spring, the two came up with the idea of starting a riding company based around the three sports they enjoyed (snowboarding, skateboarding and surfing). With an initial $5,000 from Richard's dad, they started the process. First came the name, then came the stone and Volcom was born.
The Volcom idea would incorporate a major philosophy of the times, "Youth Against Establishment". This energy was an enlightened state to support young creative thinking. Volcom was a family of people not willing to accept the suppression of the established ways. This was a time when snowboarding and skateboarding was looked down upon and the U.S. was in a recession with riots in LA and the Gulf War breaking out. Change was in the air.
For the first two years, Richard and Tucker traveled around the world on wild journeys with friends riding whatever they could. The business side of things was minimal. The headquarters were set up in Newport Beach in Richard's bedroom and all sales were run out of tucker's bedroom in Huntington Beach. The two knew nothing about how to make clothes but that didn't matter. It was all about spirit and creativity. Clothing sales for the first year were $2,600.
Since those wild beginnings, the Volcom Stone has spread slowly across the world. The company has matured internally but continues to run off the same philosophy it started with. The Volcom thinking now flows through its art, music, films, athletes and clothing.
Where we are Today
Volcom is part of the Kering Group, a world leader in apparel and accessories which develops an ensemble of powerful Luxury and Sport & Lifestyle brands. http://www.kering.com
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
- There are cases where Volcom may ask for personal information, such as your name, address, date of birth, gender, email address, etc. We do this, for instance when you register for contests/promotions, responding to communications through email, and for services that require registration or subscription. We might also collect personal information from you about a third party, for instance if the website allows you to send an e-postcard, in which case we need to know the name and e-mail address of the recipient. This information will only be used for its specific purpose (delivering the e-postcard) and Volcom will not further contact the third party unless the third party contacts us.
- We may use 'cookies' to gather information about your visits on our website so we can enhance your experience.
- A cookie is a small string of information that the website transfers to your computer for identification purposes. Cookies can be used to follow your activity on the website to help better understand your preferences and improve your overall experience.
- Cookies are also used to remember usernames and passwords.
- You can turn off all cookies if you do not want to receive them or you can have your computer alert you whenever cookies are being used. (For both options you would have to adjust your browner settings)
USE OF VISITOR’S INFORMATION:
- Administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site features (eg. Delivering a prize you may have won in a contest.)
- Information via email or SMS-messages about products, offers and news we think you would be interested in.
- We only send you this if you have opted-in to receive Volcom e-mails and/or SMS messages.
- If you no longer want to receive emails/SMS messages or want to delete/update your personal data, please visit the registration page. (http://volcom.com/email_preferences/)
WHO MANAGES VISITOR’S INFORMATION?
The information collected through the global and local Volcom websites are managed and controlled by Volcom. The servers that make the global and local websites available are located in the USA.
PROTECTION OF VISITORS INFORMATION:
In order to protect the information you provide to us by visiting our website we have implemented various security measures. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of people, who have special access rights and are required to keep the information confidential.
Please keep in mind though that whenever you give out personal information there is a risk that third parties may intercept and use that information. While Volcom strives to protect its user's personal information and privacy, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose online and you do so at your own risk.
When a child tries to submit his/her registration, they will be asked to submit the same kind of information we collect from our visitors. Furthermore the information provided by the child during his/her session may be used as indicated in the said above section.
Volcom is committed to protect the privacy of children and has no intention of collecting personal data from children under the age of 13. If you are a child under the age of 13 and you try to submit your registration, the registration will be rejected and we will inform you that we do not accept registrations from children under 13. We encourage parents and guardians of children under 13 to regularly check and monitor their children's use of e-mail and other activities online.
DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRT PARTIES:
We do not trade, sell or otherwise transfer your personal information to third parties without informing you in advance in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Your data may be transferred to our web site hosting partners and other parties to assist us in designing and operating the website, executing services (eg. Prize fulfillment) or help analyze collected data.
- These parties will only use your data for the purpose of carrying out the work as indicated and will be required to keep the information confidential.
- We will also release personal data without consent if such is requested by law, for security purposes, or to prevent imminent harm.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTIES:
For your convenience and to improve the usage of our website we insert links to third parties, for which this policy does not apply. These links take you outside our service and off the Volcom website which then is out of our control. This includes links from partners that may use Volcom’s logo as part of a co-branding agreement or sell Volcom products.
CHANGES TO POLICIES:
We may from time to time need to amend this policy, due to changes in regulations and to keep up with new developments and possibilities on the internet. We therefore reserve the right at our discretion to make these changes and ask you to check this page periodically, as you are bound by these changes when visiting our website.